On 7 February 2015, Thăng Long – Hà Nội Heritage Conservation Centre hosted a meeting to announce the decision to establish Cổ Loa Heritage Management Board
The Cổ Loa Heritage Management Board was established following Decision 7228/QĐ-UBND dated 30 December 2014 by Hanoi People’s Committee. The head office of the management board is situated in the exhibition site, Chùa hamlet, Cổ Loa commune, Đông Anh district, Hanoi.
The Cổ Loa Heritage Management Board is affiliated with the Thăng Long – Hà Nội Heritage Conservation Centre, with its own legal status and seal. It has permission to open its own account with the State Treasury and bank account according to the existing regulations. The board is tasked with the conservation, embellishment and promotion of the Cổ Loa heritage site. Its detailed assignments include:
- Formulate its development plans to match the task of conserving, repairing, embellishing and restoring the Cổ Loa heritage site based on the development plan of the Thăng Long – Hà Nội Heritage Conservation Centre;
- Cooperate with the local authorities, by organizing resources, to manage, protect and safeguard the relics, artifacts, antiques in the Cổ Loa heritage site according to the law;
- Compose contents and organize communication and education activities to enhance the visibility of the Cổ Loa site through the mass media;
- Cooperate with the local government to organize festivals to promote the values of the site, protect the environment, landscape and guarantee security and safety for on-site activities;
- Work with the specialized offices of the Thang Long-Hanoi Heritage Conservation Centre to display the tangible and intangible cultural values of the Cổ Loa relic site to serve the sightseeing public and implement professional activities upon request and instructions by the Director of the Thăng Long-Hà Nội Heritage Conservation Centre;
- Organize cultural and recreational activities; provide services at the relic site in accordance with the laws and the regulations of the city;
- Receive domestic and international tourists and provide them with guided tours around the site;
- Receive, manage and utilize effectively the allocated government fund and other financial sources in line with the existing regulations of the government;
- Manage staff members, contracted workers, institutionally owned facilities and equipment in line with the laws and the regulations of the city;
- Charge entrance fees in line with the regulations of the laws and the city;
- Implement other tasks assigned by the Director of the Centre.
Cổ Loa Citadel is a special national relic site of important historical and cultural values. The site is, according to scientists, “the oldest and most substantial citadel with one of the most original architectural style in the Vietnamese aged-old traditions of citadel construction”. Currently, the site still retains many unique tangible and intangible values linked with Vietnam’s early days of nation-building. The estabishment of the Heritage Management Board is an important milestone that contributes to an elevated role of the responsible agency and improved management capacity of the staff who directly manage the site.
Thăng Long – Hà Nội Heritage Conservation Centre